You don’t have to spend a lot of money if you are planning to go on a trip in Tauranga. You can always find cheap, or free, things to do by yourself, or with a group of family members or friends.
Cheap/Free Things to Do
- Visit McLaren Falls Park: This park is located approximately 20 minutes’ drive from Tauranga. The scenic view at the waterfall provides a good place to relax and take photos. It is surrounded by exotic trees, and the view from Lake McLaren will take your breath away.
- Go to the Blowhole on Leisure Island: Located along Maunganui Beach, Leisure Island (also known as Moturiki) is very accessible. If you walk across the footbridge, you will get to this incredible blowhole, which is considered one of the most tranquil places to visit to in Tauranga.
- Take a Dip in the Salt-Water Hot Pools: For a relaxing day, you can take a trip to the base of Mount Maunganui and take a dip in the hot pools. This costs less than NZ $15, and in some cases your accommodation booking will grant you free entry.
- Do a Street-Art Crawl: Tauranga has many walls that have been spray-painted with beautiful murals. When you are taking a walk around the town, you will see a number of murals that showcase the talent of the many artists who live in the area.
- Try Indoor Rock Climbing: You don’t have to be a professional rock climber to visit Rocktopia, which offers great indoor rock-climbing activities. This is even more fun if you go with a group of friends to find out who can climb the highest. It is very affordable, and you can even do it when it is raining. It’s a great way to get some low-impact exercise during your trip.